LDN or low dose Naltrexone

"I had a query whether or not I prescribe LDN. The simple answer is no, I don't. The evidence that it works in MS is not robust enough and it is not licensed for use in MS. Despite my position I will grant the proponents of its use that there is a scientific rationale why it may work in MS. LDN stimulates a part of the brain called the hypothalamus to secrete a hormone called ACTH. This hormone travels to the adrenal glands and stimulates the gland to produce natural steroids. In addition to this action LDN partially blocks receptors in the brain for the bodies own opiods (endorphins and enkephalins) this in turn may stimulate increased production of these compounds that may have positive symptomatic effects. In addition to benefits, or potential benefits as in the case of LDN, all drugs have risks; thankfully in the case of LDN the risks appear to be minimal, which makes it a relatively safe drug."

There is only one trial of LDN in MS registered in clinicaltrials.gov and its status is completed: please see my earlier posting regarding this trial.